I was in a really crappy mood the other day. Some things that I was hoping would happen…didn’t. My friend knew I was down so she messaged me, “Quick! Name 10 things that make you smile!”
The conversation that followed did, in fact, put me in a better mood and made me think I should focus on things that make me happy, even if they are just little things, more often.
So, here is what is making me happy right now:
2. Reading a good book in the sunshine. I am just starting book three of the Hunger Games Triology. If you haven’t read these books, please do yourself a favor and do so.
3. Buying clothes with excess funds (like a tax return). I have been going way over my clothes budget this month, but I like to think of happier times, like when I got my huge tax return earlier this year, and did whatever I wanted with it!
4. The smell of chlorine and sunscreen. Probably means I am near a pool.
5. Sangria. With a high alcohol content.
6. Mexican food. To go with the sangria.
7. OS 5. Because technology is fun.
8. Wearing white. Because it goes with everything and if you are wearing it, it is probably summer (or you are getting married…or a fashion don’t. But let’s just focus on the good). I am really loving my white Bermuda shorts to go with all the fun, brightly colored tops I just bought…
9. Summer TV premieres. Pretty Little Liars. True Blood. Weeds. Yes.
10. Amazing cilantro lime vinaigrette. Lucky for you, your day just got a little happier because I am gifting this recipe to you!
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
Adapted from Chowhound
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
1/4 cup of lime juice
1/8 cup of white vinegar
1/2 bunch of cilantro (de-stemmed)
1 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
3/4 tablespoons of dijon mustard
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
optional: 1/4 of a seeded jalapeno
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients and puree with an immersion blender
- While mixing, slowly drizzle in the oil until emulsified
- Enjoy over a fresh summer salad